SOME OF THE MORE IMPORTANT MONUMENTS IN THE TOWN
St. Barbara’s Church at Edmund Bojanowski Square. The temple, formerly evangelic, was under construction between 1908 and 1909. It is situated in the centre of Żabikowo where a housing estate for German settlers was established in 1905. After World War II it was put at the disposal of St. Barbara’s Roman Catholic parish, which was previously located in the cloister chapel of the Sisters’, Servants’, of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M. Congregation.
1.Evangelical temple at Żabikowski Market Square. A fragment of a postcard from before 1914 from Przemysław Maćkowiak’s collection.
2.St. Barbara’s Church at Edmund Bojanowski Square at present time. Photo© Przemysław Maćkowiak
Blessed Edmund Bojanowski Chapel at Żabikowski Market Square. In 1922 the chapel was added to a building belonging to the Sisters’, Servants’, of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M. Congregation. The building was under construction in the years 1908-1910. It used to be a communal building and hospital. The ashes of Blessed Edmund Bojanowski (1814-1871), who was a religious activist, writer and the founder of village libraries, and the Sisters’, Servants’, of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M. Congregation, are placed in the chapel’s sarcophagus.
3.Communal building at Żabikowski Market Square. A fragment of a postcard from before 1914 from Przemysław Maćkowiak’s collection.
4. Sisters’, Servants’, of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M. Congregation at Edmund Bojanowski Square at present time. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
The building complex of the former Żabikowo settlement at Edmund Bojanowski Square and in neighbouring streets. As a result of the Colonization Committee’s support, in 1905 the construction of a building complex for the German settlers, started. The complex consisted of a temple and an evangelical school, a communal house, a post office, a pharmacy, a hospital, the doctor’s house, shops, restaurants and several dozen of detached houses.
5. Ribbon building of the former colony along J. Poniatowski street with the pastor’s house (currently a parish house) and an evangelic temple (St. Barbara’s church). Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
6. Villa Montana, previously Villa Barteczko. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
Count August Cieszkowski’s former manorial farm buildings. Count August Cieszkowski bought a mill settlement in Żabikowo on the 14th October 1863. Within the manorial farm, from 1870 to 1876, Halina’s College was operating. It was the first and only Polish college in the Prussian partition. The closure of the school was imposed by the authorities who perceived the school as a place of forming Polish patriots. Some of the buildings, such as, the academic house (Powstańców Wlkp. Street), the owner’s house, a barn and a stable (Puszkina Street), exist until today.
7.Aerial photograph of the manorial farm, at the top - the academic building, at the bottom - the owner’s house, a barn and a stable. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
8.The owner’s house Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
“Siewca” (“A man sowing seeds”) monument is situated in Jordan’s Park in Armii Poznań Street. The statue, made of bronze and granite, was created by Marcin Rożek (1885-1944) and is one of the most beautiful monuments in the town.
The sculpture, from 1923, depicts a Slavic farmer sowing crops, whereas on the plinth with a fountain, embellished with images showing dolphins performances, a medallion commemorating a Polish chemical industry pioneer Roman May (1846- 1887) is placed.
9.A medallion showing Roman May was placed on the plinth of “Siewca” (“A man sowing seeds”) monument in Jordan’s Park. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
The architecture of the food industry factories in Armii Poznań Street. Between the years 1902 and 1904 two factories were opened in Luboń. The first one was G. Sinner’s Yeast Factory, and the second A.C. Koehlmann’s Potato Processing Factory. After 1870 the Poznań province was one of the main food suppliers for industrialized Germany. Potato and sugar beet growing continued to dominate the region, which made food and spirit processing the fastest developing industries.
The Yeast Factory was built in Art Nouveau style. The Potato Processing Factory architecture was characterized by historicism with Romanesque and Gothic elements.
10. The oldest buildings of the Yeast Factory are: the yeast processing room and the malt house (in the background on the left). A fragment of the new yeast processing room (on the right). Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
11. The frame construction of the Potato Processing Factory’s director’s residence southern bay window, covered with wood carvings, using geometric designs and plant motifs, with a date 1904. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
The architecture of the Chemical Factory in Roman May street. Moritz Milch & Co Superphostate and sulfic factory, designed by an outstanding architect Hans Poelzig (1869-1936) was under construction from 1907 to 1914. It was one of the most modern factories of the kind in Europe, distinguished by its unusual architecture (photos showing the factory can be found in every handbook concerning 20th century architecture). The expressionist architecture of the factory was austere, a bit archaizing, employing mass and huge spaces. The architecture stood in sharp contrast to the gentleness of the landscape and the flatness of the Warta riverside fields. The apartment buildings are, in contrast, cosy and full of humanism.
12.A view of the Superphostat Factory from 1911. The factory was a part of the Chemical Factory designed by an outstanding architect Hans Poelzig. An archival photo from © Przemysław Maćkowiak’s collection
13.The eastern part of the superphosphate storeroom in the former Chemical Factory. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
Dworcowa Street Railway Station. The single-track railway Poznań – Wrocław was opened on the 27th October 1856. The second track was added after 1900. The, still existing, station buildings were constructed in 1903.
14.The Railway station building in Luboń, a view from the tracks’ side. In 1939 the Company Żabikowo, 2nd National Defense Battalion left for war from this railway station. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
PLACES OF COMMEMORATION
The Martyrdom Museum in Niezłomnych Street. During World War II a forced labour camp for the Jews was established in Żabikowo. Its prisoners were engaged in building a motorway connecting Frankfurt/Oder with Łódź.
In spring 1943 the procedure of translocation of a criminal-investigative camp from Fort VII (Poznań) to Żabikowo started. The translocation process was completed in 1944.
Within the area of the former camp a monument commemorating people killed at the camp was placed. The monument called “Nigdy wojny” (“No More War”) was created by Józef Gosławski.
15.A major part of the Martyrdom Museum exhibition is devoted to forced labour camps for the Jews, which were established during II World War when the German highway was being under construction. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
16.Within the area of the former criminal-investigative camp, events commemorating the tormented patriots take place. Photo © Przemysław Maćkowiak
Collective grave in the parish cemetery in Cmentarna street. A commemorative plaque in honour of those killed in the criminal-investigative camp in Żabikowo was placed there.